1) You are always calm, and seldom feel angry. But you don’t feel any joy, either.
2) You feel judgmental towards others.
3) You have been abused in the past, but you can’t seem to recall how it felt.
4) You keep attracting partners that seem to have “anger problems.”
5) You can feel sad, hurt, worried, etc, but not angry.
6) You have violent fantasies.
7) You mistake being out of touch with being calm.
8) You feel depressed.
9) In an argument, it’s important for you to prove you’re right.
10) You’re always tired.
If several of these apply to you, maybe you have hidden anger.
Astrologically there are several measurements we can watch for:
- Mars in 12th house, near the Ascendant (within 10 degrees especially, according to Noel Tyl.)
- Saturn and/or Pluto in hard aspect with Mars could easily turn into hidden anger, especially if other measurements also suggest emotional suppression (e.g. Moon in 8th/12th; Sun in hard aspect with Pluto, etc.)
- Presence of Scorpio planets may suggest the necessity for some psychological digging.
As astrologers we don’t want to be too rigid about applying these measurements, but use them as tools to facilitate meaningful discussions.
The key idea in discussing hidden anger is that people will not be able to heal this until they are able to consciously feel the emotion. Successful integration of hidden anger leads to increased energy, more self assertion and better self esteem. It’s by no means a quick process, but more like a slow reclaiming of one’s lost emotions.