Exploring the Quindecile Aspect

A reader suggested that I write about the Quindecile (pronounced “Quin-deh-chee’-leh”), or the 165 degree aspect. Noel Tyl has a magnificent essay on the meaning and examples of quindecile on his web site. A brief comment follows:

• Noel Tyl suggests that “quindecile is an aspect of unrelenting motivation, obsession, determination, upheaval, disruption, even separation.” The planets connected through this aspect are under high developmental tension, and I believe he counts it almost as important as conjunction, square or opposition.
  • Ricki Reeves’ book Quindecile goes into depth about the interpretation of each planetary combination in this aspect. From what I’ve read, she seems to suggest that there is a compulsive feeling of “whatever it takes” to fulfill one’s motivation.

Here are some interpretive thoughts for the Quindecile aspect:

Quindecile (QD) to Midheaven: suggests obsessive and determined focus on career achievement in terms of the planet aspecting it.

Quindecile to Ascendant: suggests obsessive and even disruptive focus on relationship and self image in terms of the planet aspecting it.

Quindecile to the Sun suggests tremendous tension directing the life energy into the aspected planet. Tiger Woods has his Sun in Capricorn QD MC, which is an unrelenting focus of disciplined energy into career achievement.

Quindecile to the Moon suggests the emotional drive being channeled into the aspected planet. Also, the aspect works the other way, directing the other planet’s energy into the emotional system, potentially creating a great upheaval within.

Arnold Schwarzenegger has his 6th house Moon in Capricorn QD ASC, suggesting the ambitious, workaholic drive entering into the identity, potentially upsetting relationships.

Quindecile to Mercury: the determined, obsessive or disruptive quality enters the mind in terms of the planet being aspected, potentially creating great anxiety. This extreme tension might become a fuel for intellectual output, and/or a cause for neurosis.

Quindecile to Venus: we can expect similar tension to enter within the emotional system and relationships, and sometimes into the aesthetic sensitivity (which may lead to productive artistic work.)

Quindecile to Mars: this may suggest unrelenting drive to exert energy, in terms of the aspected planet, or Mars’ sign and house placement. Albert Einstein has Mars in Capricorn QD
his ASC, suggesting the quality of unrelenting determination and achievement fused with the identity.

Quindecile to Jupiter: may suggest obsessive focus on education, philosophy or spirituality. This aspect may intensify the need for rewards in terms of Jupiter’s sign and house placement.

Quindecile from Saturn: may suggest obsessive focus on ambition, control and achievement. There may be an intense suppression and disruption of the aspect planet.

Quindecile from Uranus: unrelenting drive toward individual freedom, innovation, and even rebelliousness is possible.

Quindecile from Neptune: Potentially disruptive intensification of creative, visionary, or escapist drive can be expected. Poet William Wordsworth has his Neptune QD Mercury, which seems to corroborate his obsession with romantic ideas and aesthetic communication.

Quindecile from Pluto: obsessive, unrelenting motivation toward empowerment or destruction. Warren Buffett has his Pluto QD Saturn, which suggests monumental empowerment and absolute fixation on practical achievement.

Personal example: I have three quindeciles, all from Jupiter in the 3rd house ruling the 10th house of career: Jupiter QD Moon, Mars and Neptune. In my horoscope it all leads to the need to teach and write about spiritual, inspirational or healing matters (8th and 9th emphasis over and over again).

If anyone has personal examples to share with regard to the quindecile aspect in his/her chart, I would be interested – feel free to write me a note or leave a comment.

About Hiroki Niizato

Hiroki Niizato is a professional consulting astrologer in Florida, serving clients in US and abroad. He has been a practitioner of Eastern meditation path since 1997, and has been practicing astrology professionally since 2001. Hiroki is a highest honor graduate of the demanding Master’s Degree Certification Course in Astrology by Noel Tyl.

You can contact Hiroki via email at: Hiroki@hniizato.com or Phone: 727-470-4056 to ask a question or schedule a consultation.

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

Thank you for this well-written article on the quindecile. Most helpful.

I have a Sun/Jupiter one but not sure yet exactly how to interpret it. I’ve always been very involved with education, sprituality, etc, but not in an obsessive way. Just one of my many interests.

However, I think that, at core, I’m very motivated by a drive towards such matters. A ‘motivating force underpinning my life’ I’d call it.

2. Hiroki Niizato says:

Hi,

I think that’s an excellent observation! Thank you for corroborating.

Hiroki

3. After much math over the following (natal) configurations:

11 Venus 36 in Leo in the 2nd
    8 Mercury 28 in Virgo in the 3rd
    11 Uranus 28 in Virgo in the 3rd
    14 Pluto 26 in Virgo on the IC
    25 Moon 33 in Aquarius in the 9th
    29 Saturn 51 in Aquarius Rx in the 9th

I’ve come up with the following

Venus, Mercury, and Uranus all QD the Moon
    Pluto QD Saturn

No wonder I’ve felt like Cassandra my whole life — 5-10 years ahead of my time with everyone I talk to hating what comes out of my mouth.

Any insight into how to deal with that effectively, in an attempt to be a productive member of society — without getting stoned, maimed, otherwise disposed of, or being forced to declare bankruptcy — would always be very much appreciated.

4. P.S. Thank you for the article. I would have loved to have had it when I was trying to get a concrete answer out of either the well-known Pisces astrologer or the Pisces therapist I was seeing during my Saturn return, when I’d had some rather significant professional delays and failures and was wondering what to do with my life (still struggling – lesson: don’t go to a Pisces for vocational advice if you’re an earth sign).

Actually, I could have used it before then — I started reading about astrology when I was 9 and begged to get a chart done when I was 14 (I think I had a sneaking suspicion it was going to take awhile to figure out what I was supposed to be doing on the planet). If I had had it then I could have at least taken it to an astrologer and said “Look at these configurations? What am I supposed to be doing about this? What can I do with these?”

5. Hiroki Niizato says:

msb,

The train has to get back on its course -both vocationally, and relationship-wise. I doubt you’ll find a pat answer to your questions.

If you want to go in depth about this, schedule a consultation with me: hiroki@HolisticAstrologer.com

I’m sure we’ll have a productive discussion.

Hiroki

6. Anonymous says:

Just wondering what PF QD Saturn might mean? I have that down to the second…(my only Yod is Saturn at the point with Neptune and Jupiter in sextile).

Any thoughts what so ever are welcome!

7. Hiroki Niizato says:

When I first asked Noel Tyl about Part of Fortune, he told me it was an outdated measurement that had to be devised when computers weren’t available – so I personally don’t use them, and therefore have no insights about it…

Thanks!

8. This is an excellent article Thank you!

I have one question though. What about the 24 degree Quindecile?

9. Hiroki Niizato says:

Sometimes it also refers to a 15 degree aspect, but that usage is not common.

10. "Thank you! In general, quindecile aspect refers to the 165 degree aspect, and not 24.

Sometimes it also refers to a 15 degree aspect, but that usage is not common."

Really? I'm not arguing with on this,I've just always heard it was the 24 degree aspect and that the 165 degree aspect is new.
    Ok. So my sun is making a 15 degree aspect to my uranus so that wouldn't be a semi decile it would be a quindecile then. Hm.

Thank you very much for letting me know.
    I hope you have a wonderful day.=-)

11. hi. I have a Moon-Mars-Jupiter stellium in the same degree quindecile Pluto..do you think this could explain depression and self-destructive tendencies?

12. Hiroki Niizato says:

Yes, when the rage is directed against yourself. There are other ways to work off the anger…

13. Anonymous says:

Hi Hiroki,

What would the following aspects mean?

Sun is quindecile Pluto
    Mercury is quindecile Uranus
    Venus is quindecile Neptune

Many thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

14. Suppose JUPITER is in SIXTH house and ruling NINTH house and this Jupiter is in tight quindecile how we will interpret it
    obsessive focus on Identity in terms of the Jupiter’s natural significations like rewards and its ruler ship of ninth Education and its placement in sixth Service, cooperation with others

• I agree with you – your interpretation makes sense especially combined with your other comment on the Venus post, in that education becomes a saving grace for the tension in other areas of life.

15. Hello, would you have any insights on a quindecile to/from Chiron? Chiron seems to be elusive to quite a few number of people (myself included) and yet I see it mentionned and used more and more often. I have a hard time putting words down to describe what would be/how would feel a quindecile involving Chiron (in this case – two separate charts – one with Chiron QD Venus and one with Chiron QD Pluto). Your insights would be very much welcomed. Thank you.

• Hi Emillie,

With quindeciles involving Chiron, we may start with words like “unrelenting motivation to heal”, “obsessive focus on (healing the) old hurt, (righting) the wrong” in terms of the other planet and the house it’s associated with. Venus of course is about relationships and loving ourselves & others. Pluto tends to amplify the Chiron symbolism to the max.

16. rosemary says:

could you possibly delinate saturn quindecile pluto. Saturn is late 4th conj 5th and pluto is 2′ off MC
    Saturn rules 2nd and pluto rules 12th
    Saturn is afflicted by square to exalted mars in late first house
    pluto is conj Virgo MC then Uranus conj
    ruler of MC is mercury retro in 12th square leo moon

thanks in advance

• I recommend you keep it simple when trying to understand an aspect’s core meaning. Saturn quindecile Pluto puts an obsessive focus, a compulsive necessity, to hard work and deep change. Warren Buffett has it as mentioned in the article, and this was delineated as “monumental empowerment and absolute fixation on practical achievement.”

17. Stephen Ambrosich says:

…I `found’ your site while googling about the Quindecile. I had actually `forgotten’ that I had a copy of the Ricki Reeves book silently sitting on a back shelf. I have immediately returned to my Solar Fire and added the Quindecile to the default calculations.You have very well constructed, well written and thoughtfully cross-referenced site. I appreciate the succintly relevant info you have provided in your archive section.

18. Asc is 5 deg Aries, Sun in sixth House 22 Deg Virgo as Fifth House Ruler unrelenting motivated, obsessed life energy with respect to projecting himself to others as a very service to others and caring (Sickness) giving love to others personality. How you will interpret it ?

• I think you said it very well! Thank you for sharing your experience. Aries Ascendant in this case is about being/doing one’s best regardless of what anyone thinks.

• Asc is 5 deg Aries, Sun in sixth House 22 Deg Virgo as Fifth House Ruler unrelently motivated, obsessed life energy with respect to projecting herself to others as a service to others and caring (Sickness) giving love to others personality.
        This is from the horoscope of a young girl who is a student of class 11th and want to become a Physician whose birth data is 14 Sept 1996 1900 Hrs at New Delhi India and I Think Developmental tensions in the chart will make her fulfill her dreams. This is for your reference

• Thanks. Although vocational analysis is typically done through the Midheaven, on a psychological level we can see that she’s on the right track in regards to wanting to help people.

19. Shinobi says:

An exact Sun in 0 Leo Quindecile Neptune 15 Capricorn. I ll have to watch and pay attention to it!

20. I have mars quindecile pluto, ascendant and moon………….i think i am interested with martian things…….like being strong, aggressive, violence, power, domination etc.

21. I have two of these aspects, one from Venus (12/Pisces) to Pluto (6/Libra) and one from Chiron (1/Aries) to Uranus (7/Scorpio). I am absolutely obsessed with energy in general. Be it sexual or healing or erratic or warlike or musical or astrological or argumental – every single moment of the say I am focussed on harnessing energies. Thankfully no unhealthy fixations.

22. Not sure if my own interpretation is correct. I dont know how to interpret the houses (QD from 12 to 6 and from 1 to 7), but I’d actually very much like to know how to interpret these aspects properly.

• These symbolisms tie together to reflect difficulties in relationships, because of bottled up emotional energies. Controlling the energy within yourself is one thing, and being able to share them with others in a healthy way is an entirely different challenge.

23. I have Mercury in Aires quindecile Uranus in Virgo. I have been driven since I can remember to use alternative methods to clear away my perceptual blocks, emotional stress and belief systems that are not working for me. I’m so much more driven to work on myself than any other human I have ever met. I think that’s the upside of Uranus/Mercury.

24. Correction: Scratch that comment. Uranus/Mercury is a Quincux. I do have a quindecile. It’s Neptune/Asc (O’ 2″orb) quindicile Sun. I don’t have any particular insights on that one. I’ve mistakenly believed I had Uranus/Mercury for so long…..LOL.

25. I just read Zane Stein’s article on quindiciles. I thought my committment to astrology was explained by Aquar MC trine ASC/Uranus conjunction. However; would sun in cancer and mars in leo both quindicile MC explain how I can become outright obsessive with it?

• Those two quindecile aspects to the MC suggest a strong need for ego expression through career. If your career allows you to shine and push yourself forward, this is all good…Otherwise you’ll need to find a way to be recognized somehow, within the world you live in. They don’t confirm nor negate your interest in astrology.

26. SuzRicky says:

Looking at my chart I believe I have a nuber of quindeciles but do not have a program that calculates it so wanting to make sure.
    Pluto in Leo 29 degrees
    Mars in Pisces 14 degrees
    Sun in Libra 2 degrees
    Mercury in Libra 4 degrees
    Neptune in Libra 29 degrees
    Moon in Gemini 12 degrees
    North Node in Sagg 1 degrees
    Saturn in Scorpio 29 degrees
    Ascendant Aquariurs 14 degrees

I have several yes?

27. Hi,

Thank you for your interesting article! The only quindecile i see in my chart is between
    My Venus in Pisces at 1 degree in 2nd house and Uranus and Pluto in Virgo at 16 degrees in the 8th house. I am an Energy Worker and do Astrological Readings. I have been “obsessed” with Spiritual Matters, digging deep to find “the answers” and with Healing since I was a teenager. I guess it could also mean Relationshop/Sexual power and money issues. (I also have the South Node conjunct Moon in Scorpio in 11th.) Any other input would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

28. Jupiter 23′ Aries Quindecile Uranus 07′ Scorpio. Jupiter conjunct Chiron 24′ Aries and Uranus conjunct N.Node 16′ Scorpio. Help interprete. Appreciated, Thank You.

• Jupiter QD Uranus would be strongly individualistic and opinionated. Probably intense thought energy that needs a constructive focus. Chiron adds a bit of hurt feeling that could be playing within your head over and over, until you decide to work on healing it.

By the way your Uranus and Nodal axis are 9 degrees apart, which is much too wide for conjunction (suggest to tighten your orb to 6-7 degrees in general.)

29. Thanks so much for this article , I just found out about Quindecile. I have about 4 in my chart
    Sun QD Saturn
    Venus QD Saturn
    Mars QD SNODE
    Pluto QD NNode.
    From what I’ve gather from your article Pluto QD North node could means I’m meant for somehow to have obsession and unrelenting motivation for my future seeing how the north node represent destiny. I can resonate with that I have always had a feeling or more like a sensation I’m meant to do something big in this world, I dont know if its something big or bad and what I’m going through now is like a a test to prepare me but I dont know what. I will like if you add some input to know if I’m on the right track or not.

30. I love your site. Thanks for sharing your insight!

Someone pointed out that I have an exact Moon-Mars quindecile involving the 6th, 7th and 12th houses. I’m passionate about healing and attract wounded people who are obsessed with me (or compulsive about getting me to focus on them).

Besides the resources you referenced, there’s not much information on this aspect. Hard to see how it works in my life and in others’ lives.

31. Ingunn Håstø says:

Hi I am studie CAC, synastry as a fallstudie. I have about 70 couples who have stayed together for more than 15 years and I find that the angle 168 – 172 degrees often exist between ones sun and the others moon etc. Some time also 165 degree. Some of this couple have been together for nearly 40 years, many over 30 years and even more over 20 years. This angle between 168 – 172 exist so often that i startet to look for information of this. The closest I have come is to this aspect quindecile, 165 degrees. Can anyone explain why this angle exist so often in a CAC horoskop, synastry between couples who have stayed together so long…???

32. Ingunn Håstø says:

I found this article too now, maby this explain something of my qestion? : Sitat: “He wrote that ‘It is in the affairs of the houses tenanted by the planets in this aspect that the native has this unending capability of carrying on, continuing, in total disregard of all practical reality. There is nothing like the nagging persistence of the 165 degree aspect, just never say die, never stop trying, never give up on negotiating the non-negotiable.’ He termed it the Johndro aspect, for want of a better name, and some people today still call it that.”

33. Any insights on a (7th h) mars in libra QD ascendant in aries? I’ve always considered my mars afflicted, unable to make its desires known right away. It’s also loosely conj pluto (scorp). But I’d love it if the QD aspect gave some insight into how to tap mars’ power. thanks in advance –c

• Mars Quindecile Ascendant will add a powerful need for self assertion. Pluto conjunction and Aries ASC will only add to this drive – everything fits to create a need to exert energy and lead.

34. Hi Hiroki ~

I think I’ve already commented elsewhere on your blog about my natal 12th house Pluto Quindecile 6th house Chiron so I won’t elaborate again here – my comment will be long enough.:) What I wanted to share though, is my experience now that Solar Arc Saturn has progressed to form a conjunction with my natal Chiron, which means SA Saturn and natal Pluto are Quindecile as well.

Aside from having to come to terms with certain changes and challenges related to the natural cycles of life (natal Saturn in the 4th, ruling the 5th) as well as eliminating certain foods and habits and incorporating new ones(6th house Chiron), I’ve also been very motivated to create new structures in my life (the way we eat, clean, shop) that support not only my own health, well-being and healing, but also the health and well-being of all those who so often remain behind the scenes and voiceless – and to *try* to some extent, to be one of their voices (Pluto rules my natal 3rd). It’s meant giving up on a lot former pleasures and spending more time alone, also spending more time at home doing chores.

For a while, it was startling to realize for the first time how many of the choices I’d always made hold the potential to affect people and places well beyond my range of vision. Until recently, I never realized how many of the items most of us take for granted are produced -from the food we eat and clothes we wear to the electronics we use- nor did I consider how my habits and choices can either help to alleviate, or conversely, *perpetuate* suffering and injustice, even *slavery* (natal Chiron in the 6th).

I’m still an alternative healer and I still volunteer, though like it or not, I’ve had to structure in more quiet time for myself, especially since my sleep-cycles have been affected (natal Pluto in the 12th). I’ve been using the time at home to study and have attended several online seminars related to health, healthcare, nutrition and the environment – and of course, I still find time to advocate for causes I support and to leave online comments. I can’t help myself.:)

One last thing is this – in some ways, this new chapter in my life feels like something that was meant to unfold all along, only I wasn’t *ready* until now. It’s as if my blinders were suddenly removed, and as shocking and unsettling as it’s been, I’ve had to accept the fact that I can never go back to not knowing. Nor can I turn to my former illusions for comfort, which has been very isolating in and of itself, since the world keeps on as it always has, with or without my participation.

Clearly, this new cycle relates to my natal Saturn (in Sag) in the 4th and Chiron (in Aquarius) in the 6th and the price we sometimes pay in choosing to live a life of integrity as we see it. It reminds me of Hexagram 47 of the IChing – I like the website yijing.nl (LiSe Heyboer’s) interpretation best in that it reminds us to enter the gate of our secret garden, where happiness dwells in small and limited places and no prisons exist.

I’m wondering if my own natal 2nd house Sun at the Saturn/Pluto midpoint has something to do with all this as well? Other transits and progressions tie in too, so it’s like being hit with a triple-whammy.:)

• Hi LB, Thank you for sharing! This sounds like a transformation that will have deep and lasting effect in your life as a healer. Much better to happen this way than through sickness etc!

35. Thank you very much for sharing this information. It explains so much.
    I have Pluto QD south node. Obsessivly getting rid of the old world making room for the new.
    The other QDs interacts with the most defining part of my chart; an exact opposition between Saturn in Cap and Sun/BML in Cancer in close conjunction with MC and Venus. Jupiter is exact QD MC and QD Sun/BML by 3 degrees and Venus by 6 degrees. Obsessive about my career and my “shine”, while at the same time fiercely resisting any kind of hieracy. It’s a very interesting combination. As I am not accepted within (and do not accept) normal roads to succes I have taken the alternative route to satisfaction and joy, which is to kindly, relentlessly and very convincingly expose fakeness and fraud in the hieracies that cling to outdated measurements of succes. And to do it in a semipublic way so that observers kindly are presented with both the problems and the exposure so as to educate them and inspire them to grasp for higher ideals. I do not expose real fraud in a dramatic way, it’s more the daily lying, the denialism, the fake ideologies and slobby arguments. I am seen as fascinating, passionate and a little scary.

• And Jupiter is in 3 house, Sag.
      Sorry if the interpretation above is a mess. I am no astrologer, and I was carried away after reading your very interesting article. But this really puts a new layer to the challenges I face at any company with bonus and bottomline as primary values.