Working with Jupiter (4): Success, Intention and Growth

(photo source: reuters.com)
Success is a New Beginning

Jupiter is frequently associated with success and reward. In Disney movies success comes at the end of the story, and people live happily ever after. In actual life, success almost always is a beginning of a new journey.

Famous Examples of Success & Reward During Jupiter Transit
Jupiter’s orbit is 12 years, so the “planet of reward” touches the sensitive spots in your horoscope once every 12 years*. While not all Jupiter transit will coincide with breakthroughs and huge success, here are some well known examples:

1) Last week President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize, surprising pretty much everybody. Transiting Jupiter conjoined his Ascendant exactly within 1 degree orb. (link to chart)

2) When Oprah Winfrey first began hosting a low-rated morning show called AM Chicago, transiting Jupiter was about to conjoin her Ascendant. Within a matter of months, AM Chicago became the number one rated morning show in America, and later was renamed Oprah Winfrey show.

3) Pope John Paul II was unexpectedly elected to be Pope on October 16, 1978. Transiting Jupiter was exactly conjunct his Midheaven.

4) Pamela Anderson was accidentally discovered during the Summer of 1989. Within a few months she was selected as the cover model for October 1989 issue of Playboy magazine. Transiting Jupiter was conjunct her Ascendant in June ’89, and then went on to conjoin her Sun in September of ’89.

Jupiter’s Reward as the Bridge to Future
In all of these cases the reward or “success” that coincided with the Jupiter transit was a beginning of a new career or a new phase of responsibility. In the case of Obama’s award of the Nobel Peace Prize, almost everyone – including the President himself – saw the prize as a “call to action” in the upcoming future, rather than the reward of past achievements.

Intention and Growth: How to Work with Jupiter Transits
Whenever Jupiter crosses an Angle (especially Ascendant and Midheaven) or the Sun in your natal chart, we can consider that period as a peak in its 12 year journey**. While the precise interpretation of the transit varies with each birth chart and other measurements, this is a good time to ask yourself “What new path is opening before me? What do I want the next 12 years to look like? Looking back at the past 12 years, what old habits and thought patterns can I leave behind?”

Asking ourselves these questions during a major Jupiter transit will help us respond positively to the opportunities and reward that are present at these times. By setting our intention for future growth at this time, we may well be sowing a seed at precisely the right time, which will result in our reaping the desired fruits at the appointed time in future.

If you have upcoming (or recently occurred) Jupiter transit to an Angle or the Sun, please feel free to share your experience and intention for your next 12 year journey. I will share mine when Jupiter transits my Pisces Ascendant next Spring.

*In the case of retrograde motion, Jupiter may contact a particular spot a few times over the span of several months.

**So you can see that there are several peaks and valleys within the journey, and their sequence differs with each horoscope, creating a unique landscape over the field of time.

Related posts: More “Working with Jupiter” posts from the past.

About Hiroki Niizato

Hiroki Niizato is a professional consulting astrologer in Florida, serving clients in US and abroad. He has been a practitioner of Eastern meditation path since 1997, and has been practicing astrology professionally since 2001. Hiroki is a highest honor graduate of the demanding Master’s Degree Certification Course in Astrology by Noel Tyl.

You can contact Hiroki via email at: Hiroki@hniizato.com or Phone: 727-470-4056 to ask a question or schedule a consultation.

Comments

1. Hi Hiroki
    Thank you for another great blog.
    In January this year Jupiter crossed my early Aquarius midheaven and I started a new job.
    I concur 100% with your comment that this was the start of something, not my final 'reward'.
    I had to find a new job out of necessity rather than desire, due to being laid off from my former job. I was also having Tr. Saturn conj Pluto and it turns out that my boss has this conjunction in his natal chart. The job is some sense feels like a prison sentence rather than a reward!

2. Hiroki Niizato says:

Thank you for sharing your experience! What happens is that transiting Jupiter often acts as a "trigger" to release the heavier transit that's going on at the same time, thereby releasing its potential (in your case, tr Saturn conjunct Pluto, which certainly fits your description of the new job.) All the same this was a good time to set a new intention about your work.

Much appreciated,
    Hiroki

3. Hiroki…Excellent article, well written, easy to understand, great application of principles. I plan to read more of your articles because I like the way you apply/write. Jupiter/Neptune are conjunct my natal Jupiter in my 9th. I am a 35-year Florida astrologer as well and have recently published a book and invite you to visit my own book website for a free sample: http://www.presidentsofhopeandchange.com
    Highest regards, Marilyn Muir

4. Hiroki Niizato says:

Dear Marilyn,

Thank you very much for your kind words, and congratulations for publishing a very impressive work! The brief look I took showed me that it is written with care and insights, and is a major contribution to the astrology of political development in USA – great job!

How perfect it is that it's happening along with the 9th house Jupiter return…

Wishing you the best success for your book,
    Hiroki

5. Hiroki, loved this uplifting article. I like yourself have Pisces Ascendant so I am almost waiting with baited breathe to see what transpires next year (its 7 deg and it will opp Pluto which sits on my Desc) in Jan. Would be interested knowing how different a transit is when it just sails on by your degree vs if you have a degree it goes back & forwards over, wonder if it has a different effect? Cheers Lise :^)

6. Hiroki Niizato says:

Let me know what you find out!

It sounds like this could potentially be a time of sowing some powerful intentions.

Along with Pluto, you would also consider the significance of any heavier transit that is going on at the same time.

Best wishes,
    Hiroki

7. Anonymous says:

Hi,

Having jupiter in capricorn, luck doesn't seem to "arrive" for that jupiterian boost others experience. When it crosses my asc in capricorn nothing seems different than before. It's all about work, no luck no matter where jupiter shows up.

Would like to feel a real jupiter hit one day. Thank you for the post.

Hans

8. Hiroki Niizato says:

Dear Hans,

Thank you for sharing your Jupiter experience. It may be that a productive use of these periods would be to set some positive goals and intentions related to your work (which must yield their rewards later on at the right time.)

Best regards,
    Hiroki

9. Dear Hiroki
    Thank you so much for your fascinating blog. I am enjoying to read it.
    I suppose that Transiting Jupiter will conjunct your Ascendant in April 2010… How do you think.. and what kinds of plans do you have?

Sincerely,
    Chinatsu

10. My 2nd comment. Your article stimulated my mental juices and I wondered what each return meant for me over the years (I'm up there in years), sort of a personal journey of Jupiter returns. Thought it might be a great example of useful for other astrologers, particularly students.
    I was born with Jup 22 Aqu 38 in my 9th. I will be 71 years old on Halloween, with the finish of my 6th Jupiter return occurring Dec 12. (Jupiter’s orbit is 11.88 years, not quite an even 12 and that does add up over time.)
    Age 12 1950: On stage, singing and dancing my way as a 40s to 50s Hollywood child star hopeful. I was reasonably good and won a lot of contests during this transit.
    Age 24 1962: Wife, mother of three, major move of household,
    Age 36 1974: Single mother of four, working, trade school to better our circumstance.
    Age 48 1986: Head of metaphysical/astrological school, church, teacher, national speaker, writer.
    Age 60 1998: Business manager for daughter’s international sports magazine, associate editor, columnist, worked with writers, photographers, coaches, athletes world-wide plus international competition venues.
    Age 71 I have just published my first book as this Jup/Nep conj transits my natal Jupiter: Presidents of Hope and Change. My natal Jupiter is conjunct the USA Moon within 2 minutes. I have four other books in production.
    Now, does that sound like an active Jupiter?
    Marilyn Muir

11. Hiroki Niizato says:

Dear Chinatsu,

No big plans at the moment :)

Hiroki

12. Hiroki Niizato says:

Dear Marilyn,

This is excellent! Thank you so much for sharing your experience of the Jupiter cycles over the years…True to 9th house Jupiter we see clearly the themes of spirituality, publication, academia and internationalism.

Very impressive (both the measurements and your accomplishments)! And illuminating too…

Much appreciated,
    Hiroki

13. António Rosa says:

Dear Hiroki,

Happy birthay. Happy solar return.

Tudo de bom.

António

14. Hiroki Niizato says:

Hi Antonio,

Thank you! Appreciate the B Day wish…Hope you're well.

Take Care,
    Hiroki

15. Cool post as for me. It would be great to read more about this topic. Thnx for giving this information.
    Joan Stepsen
    Pharmaceutical tech

16. oh, i hope its not too late to comment; i am just finding this particular post. could you relate some pointers on what it means for jupiter to be crossing one’s DC? (my t.jupiter is now just inside my 7th and my natal is just inside the last degrees of its home in the 9th ruled by cancer.)

17. ah, thank you. i shall go and ponder that now. :)

18. 12th house virgo says:

When Jupiter last transited my Midheaven, I started my career in earnest – got a great job and doubled my salary. When it transited my AC, I was pregnant with my first/only child. How’s that for expansion of self, lol? Its approaching my MH again, so time to think about what path is opening for me now. Thanks for the great article.

19. that was intriguing, especially given transiting jupiter is approaching my natal ascendant. but did i miss your follow-up report regarding jupiter’s pass over your pisces ascendant “next spring”?

thank you very much.