In natal chart analysis, when we have a focal point (i.e. a planet or an Angle) in hard aspect with the Sun/Moon midpoint, the planet or the Angle often becomes the catalyst for our deepest need fulfillment & creative self expression.
In synastry, when another person’s (e.g. spouse, business partner, teacher, client, boss etc) focal point makes a hard aspect with our Sun/Moon midpoint, it has a similar impact on us, almost as if we can use the energy from our partner’s chart to experience the sense of deep unification and effective self expression.
In this sense, the synastry aspects involving the Sun/Moon midpoint becomes important in professional and personal relationships – in both cases, we can express and fulfill our innermost needs through the help of another person more than if we just tried to do so on our own.
How Do I Find My Sun/Moon Midpoint?
You’ll need to know the exact degree of your Sun and the Moon to arrive at the correct Sun/Moon midpoint (literally, a halfway point between the Sun and the Moon). It would be useful to know your partner’s Sun/Moon midpoint as well, to see if your focal points make a hard aspect to it.
This post tells you how to obtain a list of your natal midpoints for free.
Examples of Synastry Aspects involving the Sun/Moon Midpoint
Note that the equal sign (‘=’) denotes conjunction, square or opposition.
- Their Mercury = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: Their attitude, ideas and communication help you to express yourself more fully, and find your own voice.
- Their Venus = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: Their love, affection and/or friendship help you to love and accept yourself and others better, and be more effective in social settings.
- Their Mars = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: Their action, motivation and self assertion help you to become more proactive and assertive in general.
- Their Jupiter = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: Their optimism, generosity and enthusiasm help you to become more positive and optimistic about life.
- Their Saturn = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: Their wisdom, integrity and discipline may help you become wiser and more mature. On the other hand, their fears and challenges may lead to frustration as well as personal growth. Like any Saturn aspect, this one tends to get better with time if you can persevere during rough periods.
- Their Uranus = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: Their individuality may help you realize your own uniqueness & the need for independence from others’ opinions. On the other hand, their aloofness may make you feel alienated.
- Their Neptune = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: Their spirituality, creativity and idealism may help you to reconnect with your own dreams, faith and imagination. On the other hand, their addictive or escapist behaviors may make you feel deceived or abandoned.
- Their Pluto = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: Their intensity and emotional honesty may help you access a deeper part of yourself, leading to profound healing or transformation. On the other hand, their desire for power and control may lead to a struggle for dominance in the relationship, with strong undercurrent of unspoken emotions.
- Their Ascendant = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: Their personal expression and authenticity may help you to be more secure in your own identity and self expression.
- Their Midheaven = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: Their career and public status may somehow help you to succeed in your own work.
- Their Nodal Axis (North or South Node) = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint: This could be a very meaningful relationship with a sense of karmic connection. They may help you to connect with a larger group of people.
UPDATE: What about Their Sun or Moon = Your Sun/Moon Midpoint?
While Sun=Sun/Moon or Moon=Sun/Moon is generally not considered in regular midpoint analysis, in synastry this can be an important contact. In both cases, another person’s core energy is making a strong contact with your point of relationship fulfillment and self expression. This synastry contact can suggest a highly fulfilling and supportive relationship, regardless of whether it’s a marriage/love relationship, business partnership, or a teacher/student relationship.
Looking at the Sun/Moon Midpoint in Your Own Relationships
Were you able to locate yours & your partner’s Sun/Moon midpoint? Did you notice a significant aspect to the midpoint? Feel free to share what you found out via comments below!
Reference: In case you missed it, here is the original post on Midpoints in Astrology